Wednesday 29 April 2015

Chequerbent Ward (Westhoughton Town Council)
Local Elections Thursday 7 May 2015

It is hard to believe that it has been three years now since I was elected to represent the Chequerbent Ward in 2012 – time seems to have flown. A result of keeping busy, attending and participating in Council Meetings and doing my utmost to represent you the best way I can, committed and proud to serve. I stood thinking the electorate deserved better, and I can honestly say I have enjoyed the role, and have had some success along the way. For example, initiating the installation of the new hand rails [Bolton News] installed for our War Memorial on Market Street, making it safer for the frail and elderly; our Westhoughton Town signs cleaned and presentable, and championing and being fully behind the Town Council in the Lancashire flag flying over our Town Hall on ‘Lancashire Day – 27th November.’ Even thought it was disappointing that is was quickly taken down the day after. I do wonder why the council does not leave it there; a reminder of County Palatine of Lancashire heritage, still widely supported by the people of Bolton, yet the official Bolton Council line was: “we are in Greater Manchester and Get over it!” Even a Union Jack flying would be better than an empty flag pole. Sometimes decisions taken not to upset people are baffling; political correctness not something I encourage.

Over-development

Regarding the over-development of our town, Westhoughton; when the possible development of 100+  houses off Bolton Road (Roscoes Farm) came in, I was the only councillor to vote against the proposed development back in February 2014, then twice again when the Resolution and Amended Plans came back for planning consideration - at this point there was a general consensus amongst Town Councillors that we were against it. In November 2014, I was one of the three councillors who attending a meeting with developers invitation to discuss the proposed plans for 300 homes to be built on green land at Lee Hall - this a development I am totally against, telling the developers so; local residents are naturally up in arms about this (first step) incursion into protected land outside of the Local Plan, which was developed and consulted on over several years. This is a development we do not need and one that will likely impact negatively on Westhoughton. I encourage everyone to stand together, and if possible give help and support to the like of SWAN, a local action and campaign group, who have campaigned over many years against over-development of the town.

I also objected and spoke out to the closure of Winifred Kettle Home [Bolton News] on Washacre at Council Meetings and at Public Forums, gaining public applause for speaking out and challenging these decisions. The local paper highlighted my concerns by echoing my remarks in that rather than getting in a purpose built clinic for a town of our size, we are getting a ‘clinic on the cheap’ (which may bring more additional problems to our ward). It does seem odd that patients are sent and families expected to traipse to the other side of Bolton for respite care. This kind of care should be accessible within local communities.

As Membership Secretary of The Bolton and District Civic Trust I have a great belief and passion for our historic heritage and rich values of our town. When I took office I was disappointed to find that our very own Council Chamber was in much need of repair, had been neglected with evidence of cracked, flaking paintwork, a leaking roof, stained carpets and missing light bulbs out – the situation still same three years. As custodian of this 1904-built, Grade II listed building, given to the people of Westhoughton, I wrote to express my concerns to the Town Clerk, only to find the building is owned by Bolton Council, who are spending millions on Bolton Town Hall in this time of ‘austerity,’ and yet it seems continually neglect Westhoughton. Ironic too that Westhoughton Parish Councillors could not even hold surgeries with constituents at our Town Hall when only Bolton Councillors could.

Eventura building on site of Cross Guns Pub - not in keeping. As Vice-chair of Planning and Finance, many planning applications that come before me, I scrutinize with this perspective of our rich heritage, wanting to try to preserving the character of our town and our identity. I was only one of two Councillors who objected to the demolishing of the Red Lion Pub in spite of it being in a Conservation Area, which has stood on the site for over 300 years, only for it to make way for a private car park for a care home. I am the only councillor who opposed the demolishing of the Cross Guns Pub [Bolton News] with its natural brickwork, and to object to planning to build the ‘Open Prison’-style building, which I feel should be on an industrial estate, as it is not in keeping with the local area.

You don’t always agree with other councillors on the decisions that are made, but as an Independent Councillor for our ward I feel obligated to challenge decisions that are made; we should always try to preserve our identity as an historic town, and preserve our greenbelt and our green fields by making sound decisions on planning applications that are in keeping with the environment and the wishes of our community – and this I always tried to do.

Election 2015

As you may be aware, there are two seats Chequerbent Ward (Town Council) with three candidates standing, myself as independent candidate, who lives and works in our ward and two Labour candidates drafted in from Bolton to challenge me. I value that you may have your own political views – and this I truly respect – though I hope that my track record on fighting on your behalf and having the second highest attendance rate and town council meetings of over (>90%) stands as true testimony of both my commitment and desire to give you the best representation for our ward. Electing an Independent Councillor can help bring about change, but more importantly encouraged others to stand within our community from a non-partisan point of view to bring about positive change and sound local management that we all can be proud of.

I am also standing as your representative on Bolton Council for the Westhoughton North Ward – again there are two seats being allocated. Your support here too, even as a second vote could make all the difference allowing for Independent representation at Bolton Council, and again encouraging other to follow suit. I do believe we need more independent representation in our democratic processes – party politics looks jaded and very out of touch.


It has being remarkable journey for me personally and I would like to thank all those who elected me back in 2012 and I hope in some way that have not disappointed you, it is not always easy and sometimes you have to be thick-skinned, but with your help I wish to continue that journey to serve and fight for our community. To those who may vote for me again and possibly for the first time on the 7 May 2015, I will do my utmost not to disappoint you and to serve and represent you well.


Councillor Jack Speight

No comments:

Post a Comment